No matter the season, no matter the weather — nothing spells comfort food more than a heart plate of pasta. Easy to make, pleasant even to the strictest budget, it’s not wonder it’s our favorite carb. Here’s 3 of our favorite recipes to try:
Lemon Ricotta Parmesan Pasta
- 1 lb grilled chicken breasts, sliced into strips*
- 1 lb dry linguine, fettucine or spaghetti
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach, steamed just until beginning to wilt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups part skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan, plus more for serving
- Cook pasta in salted water according to directions listed on package, reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining pasta.
- Drain water (reserve 1 cup) and return pasta to pot. Set pot over medium-low heat and add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, ricotta, 1/2 cup hot reserved pasta water and parmesan and toss to evenly coat.
- Add in more pasta water as desired to thin and season with salt and pepper to taste, cook and toss, about 2 minutes, until ricotta is heated through.
- Toss in spinach and grilled chicken.
- Serve warm topped with more parmesan if desired.
Creamy Broccoli, Chicken, and Bacon Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese (use Parmesan, or Mozzarella, or 4-cheese mix)
- 8 oz fettuccine (for gluten free version, use gluten free brown rice fettuccine)
- 2 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 7 strips cooked bacon
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Cook chicken breast on high heat for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, until browned, then remove the skillet from heat and keep the chicken covered to continue cooking it in its own steam until no longer pink. Remove chicken from the skillet. You can also use pre-cooked chicken. Cut chicken into thin slices.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet. Add heavy cream, milk, bring to boil. Add cheese and stir till it completely melts.
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain.
- Add cooked pasta, cooked bacon, cooked broccoli and mix everything in. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with sliced cooked chicken.
Cajun Chicken + Sausage Alfredo Pasta
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14 oz smoked sausage, sliced on the diagonal
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 quart of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 pound of dried penne pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning plus more for topping
- 4 oz of freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
- Start with a large covered cooking pot.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and cook for for about two minutes.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, dried pasta and cajun seasoning to pot.
- Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook covered for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- Stir in chopped parsley and sprinkle with additional cajun seasoning to taste.