Food bowls — what’s not to love about them? Aside from being a hot trend right now, they’re an excellent way to use up your leftovers. Below, recipes for a few faves:
Sushi Roll Bowl
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 Cups Cooked White Rice – cooled
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Imitation Crab
- 1/2 Cucumber – peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 Small Lemon – sliced extra thin then finely chopped (peel included)
- 1 Tablespoon Pickled Sushi Ginger – chopped
- 1/2 Avocado – sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 Sheet Dried Seaweed – crumbled
- Black and Tasted Sesame Seeds – to taste
1 – Combine all sauce ingredients in a small pot over medium heat. While whisking, bring to a boil and reduce to a slightly syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2 – Then combine all bowl ingredients and top with sauce!
Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained (or roast your own!)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- juice of one lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup almonds
For the Mediterranean Bowl (build your own bowls based on what you like):
- cooked quinoa
- spinach, kale, or cucumber
- feta cheese
- kalamata olives
- thinly sliced red onion
- fresh basil or parsley
- olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper
1 – Blend all sauce ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
2 – Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Then build your own bowl!
- 1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Cups Water
- 1½ Cups Cooked Chickpeas
Drizzle Olive Oil (or other neutral oil)
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- ⅛ Tsp Turmeric
- ½ Tsp Oregano
Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil (or other neutral oil)
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro
- Mixed Greens
- An Avocado
- Sesame Seeds for Garnish
1 – Start by cooking the quinoa. When done, remove from heat and keep covered.
2 – Preheat oven to 425. In a bowl, toss chickpeas, oil, and spices until chickpeas are evenly coated. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake chickpeas for 15 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool.
3 – To make red pepper dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
4 – Finally, assemble the buddha bowls. In two bowls, add quinoa, mixed greens, avocado, and chickpeas. Drizzle everything with red pepper sauce, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.